The pandemic has stopped us in our tracks, our lives have changed. Some of us have lost our jobs, members of our families or friends and we don’t even know when this is all going to be over. I want to encourage you by reminding you that you are a daughter of God and that doesn’t change because there is a pandemic. God loves you and He has the whole world in His Hands. I want to encourage you to see the world and the pandemic through His eyes. If you haven’t read my previous article COVID-19 and the Catholic Woman: Seeing the Pandemic with the Eyes of God. Please do so here.
In this article, I want to share with you how you can navigate this pandemic and come out stronger on the other side. I want you to see this pandemic as a period of growth rather than a period of restrictions because everything works unto good for those who love God. In order to do this, I want to show you how the New Eve Method can help you to navigate these times.
After working with so many women (and my own personal experience), I created the New Eve Method to help women to regain the natural harmony and balance that God intended for us when He created us. this is so that we can have the family, career and impact He wants us to have. Original sin disrupted our natural harmony and left us wounded making it difficult for us to achieve God’s plans for us. I want to share that method with you now because I see the COVID-19 pandemic as an opportunity for us to grow and reflect on who we want to be.
The New Eve Method is made up of 5 steps:
- The New Eve Union: The first consequences of original sin were not the declarations God made to Adam, Eve and the serpent. It was the break in union with God. After they sinned, God called Adam and Eve but they had become scared of Him. Instead of seeing Him as a friend and father, they saw Him as someone to be afraid of – like a tyrant. In order to achieve our original harmony, we need to connect and reconnect to God in a very special way. We need to spend time with Him just like Jesus did several times during His time on earth. Set out specific times in the day to be alone with God. COVID-19 pandemic actually gives us the opportunity to pray without rushing as we are mostly stuck at home. Ask God for His grace to see the world through His eyes. Ask Him to spare our world. Don’t let the fact that we can’t attend Mass or the sacraments hold you back because God is not bound by His sacraments. Let Him minister to your soul directly. And bear in mind that if you follow the directives of your Bishop and the Pope, you will receive immense grace through the virtue of obedience.
- The New Eve Confidence: In this period of uncertainty, there is so much to be afraid of. We might lose our jobs, our income, our relationships, friends etc. These things have defined who we are for a long time and now they are no longer certain. This is the time to remember that your identity is grounded first and foremost in your likeness to God. You were made in God’s image and likeness; that is who you are. God’s daughter! Everything else is subject to this and as long as you have this foundation, everything else will follow. As for your job, income, friends etc., your Heavenly Father knows that you need them and will give you everything you need, when you need it. This is the New Eve Confidence.
- The New Eve Diet: our bodies need their own harmony and often we struggle to provide it with the right nutrients because we are too busy and often rushed off our feet. Now is a good time to pick one or two healthy habits that would strengthen your body. The New Eve diet advocates a natural and less processed diet. Is there any change you can make to your meals during this time? Please remember that like any other virus, COVID-19 is best fought with a strong immune system, so eating well has probably not been so important. Use supplements to also boost your immunity and that of your family. Lastly, please steer clear of hacks and recipes that are being proposed as cures to the virus. Follow the guidance of your country and the WHO when in doubt.
- The New Eve Rhythm: Typically, this covers both the daily and the monthly rhythm (the menstrual cycle) but for the purpose of this article, I want to focus on the daily rhythm. Everything in nature has a rhythm and so do our bodies. Again, because of our busy schedules, we often impose artificial rhythms on our bodies. We sleep and wake up when we have to, not when our bodies need to. We eat when we can, not when we need to; and we sometimes drink lots of coffee or other stimulants to keep us going. See this period of forced retreat as an opportunity to give your body the sleep and nutrition it needs and help it to restore its natural rhythm. This will improve your health. Also boost your rhythm by finding and working on projects during this time so that you have the right balance of rest and work. Too much work or too much rest is not healthy for the body and the mind.
- The New Eve Influence: we have looked at you in the first 4 steps. With this step, we will look at your interaction with the world i.e. how the world affects you and how you influence it. Right now, the world might affect you through panic and anxiety because of the virus. Protect yourself by only reading or watching things that help you to stay positive. If your work doesn’t require it, perhaps only watch the news update to find out what is going on. Also find ways to influence the world positively right now. What can you do to help? Perhaps you can make it a point of duty to call one or two friends/family everyday to encourage them. Or you could post inspiring and encouraging things on your social media accounts to help people to be less afraid, or you could volunteer safely to help those in need in your town/city. Make a positive difference in the world during these troubling times and let people see the light of Christ shine through you.
See this period as a time to grow as a person, as a woman but above all as a Catholic woman and when the pandemic is over – and it will end- you would have emerged from it stronger than ever. May God bless us all. Amen.